As a young child, I was fortunate to seek out a couple of mentors to offer me great ideas and assist guide me alongside my magic journey. They didn’t just assist in the realm of sleight of hand – they helped me navigate my means by means of Present Business. That includes every little thing from performance materials, advertising and business practices, and professional relationships with event planners and other Present Business Execs in Hollywood.
I know it may be robust to seek out reliable ideas for magicians or an trustworthy and helpful mentor. So I requested a number of the greatest magicians on the planet what ideas they might present to an up and coming magician.
They shared their prime three largest mistakes that magicians make within the “business” a part of showbusiness… and find out how to fix them. A number of the responses are shocking and a few ideas are funny – all of them are highly helpful, and I hope you assume so too!
Magician Tips: 3 Biggest Business Mistakes Magicians Make
Lisa Menna is a world-class entertainer and the only lady in history to carry out in all three rooms of the distinguished Hollywood Magic Fort. She consists of magic in her philanthropic work all through the world and has carried out in over 40 nations.
1. Non-magical types of distraction – all the best way right down to snow-cone machines – are your important competitors. Other magicians usually are not.
2. The typical sale is made on the seventh contact, the typical individual provides up on the 3rd attempt.
3. Less is extra.
With hundreds of thousands of hits on YouTube and 100’s of hundreds of loyal on-line followers Dan Sperry the Anti-Magican has turn out to be a social media phenomenon and probably the most sought after reside performers working right now.
1. They carry out for themselves and never their viewers – don’t be selfish.
2. They pressure demonstrations without really being requested – don’t be selfish.
3. They see something on TV or on a video or no matter and do it exactly the same approach with out putting anything of themselves into it.
Just be yourself.
John Archer is a past winner of the ‘Magic Circle Stage Magician of the Year’ and positively probably the greatest comedy magicians in the UK at this time. He was the primary magician to fool Penn & Teller and principally does nothing but succeed wildly on every stage no matter circumstance
1. They worry too much about publicity and not sufficient about their act, Consider every facet of the performance and take heed to the viewers. Be in the second when performing so you’re conscious of the lifeless spots and then attempt to get rid of them. There isn’t a better publicity than individuals speaking about an awesome act.
2. They cost an excessive amount of, too soon. Whenever you first start money ought to be secondary to getting efficiency time in as many conditions as attainable. Just since you hear what so and so is charging doesn’t imply that it is best to but. Ultimately you’ll be ok and confident sufficient to cost what you assume is the going price.
3. They take heed to too many people. Everyone seems to be a critic in this business, particularly different magicians, in case you are not careful you’ll get swamped with advice. Choose some pals who you trust and respect and take heed to them. True buddies will encourage and construct you up… When you find that associates are bringing you down then perhaps rethink that friendship.
David Williamson is a dwelling legend and grasp of magic. He has created illusions for and carried out in a number of commercials and has developed TV exhibits for Walt Disney Productions and ABC, as well as consulting for illusionists David Copperfield’s and David Blaine’s TV specials. He’s additionally one of many funniest performers you will ever see take the stage!
Don’t let different individuals outline you or your path to success. There are as many ways to have a profession in Magic as there are individuals doing it! Don’t wait to be found, go out and blaze your personal path with no matter tools you’ve gotten and play to your strengths. Be bold, have enjoyable and be artistic! There are not any guidelines, I know as a result of just once I start obeying one, someone else comes alongside and breaks it! Often to great impact. If this simply seems like a bunch of platitudes, it’s not. I wish somebody had informed me this once I was beginning out.
Additionally, maintain your fingernails trimmed.
Ning Cai is a Singaporean magician and entrepreneur. She has been acknowledged by Channel Information Asia as “South East Asia’s First Professional Female Magician”. Ning has broken a lot of data and gained quite a few awards for her work in magic. Click here for a full listing
Making an attempt to look exactly like your magic hero. Doing the identical acts or routines. Even copying the same show music.
Understand that true professionals are artistic artists. Make artwork. Create something new. Don’t be a copycat.
R Paul Wilson
R Paul is a highly regarded author, creator and lecturer with numerous unique innovations utilized by professional magicians all over the world. He’s also a performer with an enormous repertoire of unique effects and a popularity for classical conjuring utilizing leading edge methods.
They undervalue themselves. Worse nonetheless, they undervalue their artwork. Magic is probably the most highly effective, personal storytelling medium on Earth. That’s why cinema is all the time compared to magic, not the other approach round. For those who disagree, select one other medium to inform your tales.
Andi Gladwin is a knowledgeable close-up magician, magic creator, writer, co-founder of Vanishing Inc. Magic and lecturer. He has revealed top-selling magic books and over the past yr has lectured on the largest magic conventions on the earth together with The Session, Blackpool, FISM, Magi-Fest, MAGIC Stay and The Genii Convention.
Most of the mistakes that magicians make in business stem from the identical overarching thing: not creating the most effective product potential. My aim is all the time to be the perfect magician potential and to offer one of the best expertise I can. I’m always learning and enhancing in order that I’m prepared for every state of affairs. And most importantly, I’ll only take a gig if I do know I can make an impression at that event. To take a gig simply because I would like the cash goes towards being the perfect product potential — you actually must be sure that you solely perform in conditions the place you might be the easiest; to do anything is just shortsighted. Do one of the best gigs and be one of the best you possibly can; with that components, it’s unimaginable not to be a hit.
Scott Hammell is a four-time Guinness World Document holder. Whether it’s magic, escape artistry, stunts, or speaking, his aim is to entertain and inspire
1. They battle TOO onerous to get issues for themselves and never enough time making the shopper completely happy. The perfect piece of advice I used to be ever given close to business is, “The only reason you should be in business is to satisfy your customer.” If your shopper isn’t glad, they aren’t going to tell their associates they usually definitely aren’t going to hire you again. It’s WAY easier to maintain present shoppers than it’s to get new ones.
2. They see different magicians as competitors.
If individuals have a nasty expertise with a magician, they in all probability aren’t going to rent one again. When you possibly can’t do a show, cross it on to someone you possibly can trust to do a tremendous job. It is going to make both of you look nice. In case you don’t give them a reputation of someone you advocate, they’ll attempt to discover one by themselves. We all know there are many performers on the market who advertise themselves as “The best magician in the universe” and that’s a far cry from the reality. The shopper won’t know any better and rent someone who sucks. In the event you move different magicians work, they’ll cross it on to you! I’ve gotten extra enterprise from different performers than I’ve from bureaus and businesses mixed.
3. They focus an excessive amount of on tips and methods and not sufficient on efficiency and being human. For those who can perform properly, audiences are NEVER going to know the problem degree of what you’re doing. They only need to be entertained. If all your time is invested in methods as an alternative of being properly rounded, how are you ever going to attach together with your viewers?
Diana Zimmerman is an American performer, entrepreneur, writer, and businesswoman. She has acquired each a Lifetime Achievement and a Particular Fellowships from the Academy of Magical Arts.
1. They create an act, after which search for a place to perform without understanding the market.
2. They create an act, and then look for a spot to carry out with out understanding the market.
3. They create an act, and then look for a place to carry out with out understanding the market.
(It’s a sample.)
Invoice Abbott is an internationally acclaimed entertainer with 20+ years expertise and over 5000 performances in over 11 nations.
1. They take heed to magicians for business advice.
2. Many both focus an excessive amount of on the product (their show) and the enterprise end suffers. Or they focus solely on the enterprise end and have a shitty product, their show.
From Hollywood and Los Angeles—to London and Paris—John has thrilled hundreds of individuals via his magic. John has additionally earned worldwide approval for his artistic insight and revealed books on the artwork of magic
The three mistakes I see most frequently are: Amateurish advertising; not understanding your model; and performing earlier than prepared. The options are easier stated than achieved.
1. Avoid amateurish advertising. In an age the place anyone can produce their own website, this could typically work towards you. Convenience does not equal good design. So, invest the assistance of a designer and copywriter that will help you convey your brand to life.
2. Perceive your private brand. In my ebook One Degree, I guide the reader via defining their “brand promise” by beginning with nothing greater than a napkin and pen. Your brand encompasses what you do, why you do it, and where you are going (your desired impression). When you understand this, it’s a lot easier to open doorways with confidence and authenticity.
3. Prepare, apply, and put together some more. Performing professionally is far totally different than performing for associates. It takes more apply and preparation than we frequently assume. Identical to a airline pilot, who must accumulate over 1,500 hours of flying time before turning into a captain, we as magicians must rack up quite a few performing hours before shifting into the professional area. Begin with household and pals, then associates of associates. Volunteer and donate your time for small gigs. Expose yourself to difference performing environments, from loud events to elegant environments. Rack up your hours, then even more, earlier than calling your self “professional.”
Do you’ve any magician ideas that were not mentioned here? Did you make any of those errors yourself at any level? I’d love to listen to what you assume within the comment section under!