(NEW THIS YEAR: The 2018 AAPA Conference has its own website! Please see particulars under for hyperlink and proposal submission instructions.)
ASIAN AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
2018 ANNUAL CONVENTION
August 8, 2018
San Francisco, California
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
INTERACTIVE SESSIONS * DIFFICULT DIALOGUES * SYMPOSIA * POSTERS
Submission Deadline: April 15th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. PST
IMPORTANT – READ:
**Proposals that handle the convention theme shall be prioritized**
**Given our tight timeline, we’re NOT capable of prolong the submission deadline this yr**
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:
- To submit an summary, you have to first create an account by registering on this page: (https://aapa2018.dryfta.com/en/attendees-authors-registration)
- After registering, Dryfta (portal firm) will e mail you a short lived password, which you’ll use to sign up to the system for the first time. You may be prompted to vary your password.
- After you’re logged in, click on “Abstract Submissions” on the prime of the web page and comply with the template to complete and submit your abstract proposal.
2018 AAPA CONVENTION WEBSITE:
THROWING ROCKS, BUILDING BRIDGES:
Centering and Uplifting our Intersecting Voices
This yr’s theme continues to construct on earlier convention themes with the objective of encouraging vital and troublesome conversations that may strengthen research, follow, and advocacy efforts in Asian American psychological health. Our theme for this yr focuses on individual and group empowerment that facilities round (re)claiming area, uplifting our voices, and acknowledging all the intersecting identities that make us unique. Intersectionality is defined by Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw as “how overlapping or intersecting social identities, particularly minority identities, relate to systems and structures of oppression, domination, or discrimination.” Our hope is that this theme shall be a name to action to honor people who encourage us to keep preventing for our values and beliefs whereas acknowledging the efforts of AAPA’s present and previous members.
“Throwing rocks, building bridges” is a tribute to the past, current, and future of AAPA. We stand upon the shoulders of our elders – the ones who have offered the rocks vital for the present era to throw. As rock throwers and agitators, the current era pushes the boundaries necessary to efficiently propel AAPA into the longer term, with the popularity that we’re in the same battle. Our elders laid the inspiration from the place we construct the bridges to our widespread objectives. By encouraging members to acknowledge our previous and current, we purpose to move in the direction of breaking down partitions and constructing bridges between AAPI and different teams, our a number of identities, and subgroups inside AAPA in celebration for the future of our organization.
We’re looking for proposals that draw attention to the experiences of these with multiple intersecting identities, underrepresented Asian American groups (e.g., South Asians, Southeast Asians, Filipinos, spiritual minorities, LGBTQIA+, worldwide people), in addition to people who bridge past AAPI research or medical purposes with present or future instructions. As well as, we’re excited about submissions that target collaborative tasks (each nationally and internationally), interdisciplinary scholarship, multicultural perspective, cross-cultural psychology, and different works that additional social justice actions. We encourage submissions from researchers, group leaders and activists, psychological well being suppliers, and educators who work with underrepresented communities. Furthermore, we welcome submissions from professionals and students in allied fields (e.g., Anthropology, Asian American Research, Communication, Schooling, History, Regulation, Nursing, Political Science, Public Well being, Psychiatry, Social Work, and Sociology) with whom we collaborate and whose work informs Asian American psychological health.
Proposals might handle, but usually are not limited to, the following subjects inside AAPI mental health:
- Intersections of social identities akin to race, gender, and sexual orientation (analyzing complexities of our totally different identities, give attention to the totally different experiences)
- Analysis/outreach with underrepresented AAPI teams (Southeast Asian, Pacific Islanders, LGBTQ, and so forth.)
- Collaborative and interdisciplinary work analyzing the range of the AAPI group
- Exploration and examination of present research, conceptual, and/or therapeutic models with AAPI groups and variations/dietary supplements to such fashions (e.g., cultural variations to cognitive behavioral remedy models, utilizing both minority stress and intersectionality frameworks in analysis and/or medical work)
- Research, outreach and different subjects involving the LGBTQIA+ communities
- Social reform, public policy, and political action (involvement of AAPIs in current nationwide and worldwide political movements)
- Social justice and fairness
- Immigration, immigration reform, wants and challenges of immigrant communities (examination of different adaptation experiences, strategy of acculturation, code switching, and so on.)
- Id improvement throughout totally different racial/ethnic minority teams (whereas incorporating intersectionality akin to racial and ethnic id improvement at totally different ages/across the lifespan, intersections of race/ethnicity and gender id improvement, and so on.)
- Experiences of intersectional microaggression and different varieties discrimination (e.g., gendered racism, sexualized racism, generational variations across experiences of discrimination, worldwide views on discrimination and microaggressions)
- Inter/inside group conflicts; intergroup coalitions
- Psychological well being and health disparities (analysis, outreach, packages that target entry to care)
- Growing visibility in the schooling system and medical and counseling settings
- Multicultural, and polycultural perspectives
- Growing visibility of AAPIs with a number of heritages
Who Might Submit
People (AAPA members and non-members) at all levels of training (professional, graduate degree, and undergraduate degree), including non-psychologists eager about psychological well being points affecting AAPIs are inspired to submit proposals. We notably encourage submissions from those all for AAPI mental health who have not previously participated in AAPA conventions. As a result of strengthening the range of our colleagues in other organizations is of specific significance for psychologists of colour, we strongly encourage submissions from members of different organizations, together with but not restricted to, the Association of Black Psychologists, Society of Indian Psychologists, and the National Latina/o Psychological Association.
While there isn’t a restrict to the entire variety of submitted proposals per individual, individuals can solely be the primary writer of one proposal submission. In the event that multiple first writer submissions are acquired from a person, the committee will evaluation only the first proposal acquired. Exempted from this rule are presenters who’re invited speakers.
- Deadline for all submissions is April 15th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. PST
- All presenters are required to officially register for the convention
Forms of Submissions
- Interactive Periods: In a typical 90-minute session, a facilitator introduces the subject and units up a context
for subsequent discussions and interactions amongst members. For questions about submitting an
interactive session proposal, please contact Periods Co-Chair Yun Garrison at [email protected] .
- Troublesome Dialogues: On this 90-minute session, a facilitator engages individuals in a meaningful
dialogue about issues which might be troublesome to discuss in on a regular basis conversations. Proposal submissions must delineate how facilitators will establish and manage a protected area that promotes respectful expression of opposing views, and supplies an setting through which differing perspectives are defended, heard, and thought of by individuals who hold conflicting cultural values and concepts. For questions about submitting a troublesome dialogue session proposal, please contact Periods Co-Chair Yun Garrison at [email protected] .
- Symposia: In a typical 90-minute symposium, three or four shows are given around a standard
theme. An professional discussant might provide suggestions. The symposium proposal submission should embrace
one program summary that integrates the a number of shows inside the session. It must also
clearly point out the titles and contents of every presentation inside the symposium. A chair for the
symposium have to be named on the appliance portal. No particular person paper proposals for symposium
shows are accepted. For questions, please contact Yun Garrison at [email protected] .
- Posters: Posters are displayed to disseminate info on numerous conceptual and/or empirical reviews.
Through the designated 90-minute poster session, individuals are invited to interact with poster presenters. Single research papers ought to be submitted as posters. For questions, please contact Poster Session Co-Chairs are Iris Miao at [email protected] and Dieu Truong at [email protected]
Tips for Proposals
- All on-line proposals will need to embrace:
- Contact info for every presenter
- Summary (500 to 700 words) with no writer names
- Program Abstract (50 to 100 words) with no writer names
- 3-4 Learning Goals (not required for poster submissions)
- Proposals might be despatched for nameless critiques. As such, the Summary and Program Summary shouldn’t embrace identifying info of the writer(s) and/or presenter(s).
- Submitters can be notified by e-mail upon receipt of their proposal.
- For submissions that could be eligible to award Continuing Schooling models (CEs), individual authors can be contacted to offer further info.
- Submission outcomes might be despatched by way of e mail by Might 5th, 2018.
Proposal Score Standards
Proposals will probably be rated based mostly on the following standards:
- Relationship to convention theme
- Relevance/timeliness of matter
- Membership attraction
- Innovation and creativity
- Scientific/empirical soundness (for analysis symposia and posters)
- Adequacy of technique for involving viewers (for interactive periods and troublesome dialogues)
- Contribution to the sector
Presenters ought to deliver their very own laptops (those with Mac laptops ought to deliver the appropriate adaptor to hook up with the LCD projector). LCD projectors for PowerPoint shows might be offered. Requests for further AV gear will probably be addressed after the final number of presenters has been decided.
Go to the 2018 AAPA Conference web site at https://aapa2018.dryfta.com/en/ for extra info.. For all different questions relating to the 2018 AAPA Convention, please e-mail one in every of this yr’s co-chairs, Nic Rider at [email protected] or Justine Fan at [email protected]